WHAT THE GROTTO TEACHES
Masonry proper, is all work… solemn, serious and sublime work… There is not and never should be a line of light and frivolous from the first step, as we enter the outer courts, to the last in the Holy of Holies of its Mystic Temple. Truth, everlasting and unchanging, is the foundation on which it is erected and on this basis its votaries by bonds of brotherhood which are mutually helpful and beneficent.
While it is as Prophets we open the portals of the Enchanted Realm to Master Masons, we are none the less loyal to Masonry. We carry with us the solemn lessons we have learned within the Lodge and we are guided by the precepts of Masonry while we revel in the good cheer of the Prophets.
The Order of Veiled Prophets, while proclaiming the loyalty of its members to Masonry, makes no pretense of being a Masonic Order, nor does it claim to confer a Masonic degree. Its membership is exclusively Masonic and its purpose is to supply the element of play such a way that work and play will be blended without marring the solid beauty of Masonry. The Grotto is said to be essentially Masonic in character.
The requirements for membership in the Order of Veiled Prophets is that a man must first be a Master Mason in good standing, and that he must continue to maintain his good standing in the Blue Lodge in order to retain his standing in the Order. In no way does the Grotto infringe upon the rights and ceremonies of Masonry or of any other Order.
The Grotto leads it votaries through an Enchanted Realm where the spirit of mirth touches the hearts and evolves cheerful companionship, in joy of which they are brought near together in helpful sympathy, which is none the less true because the eye beams with delight and laughter goes with a Prophet’s greeting when hand clasps hand in its mystic fellowship.
SOME OF THE MANY PRIVILEGES OF BEING A GROTTO MEMBER
- An open sesame for fun and a fuller life for the whole family, including enjoyment of beautiful ceremonials, installations, family picnics, pilgrimages to near and far places, football and baseball games, plus big parades.
- The opportunity to meet with your fellow Prophets - many of whom are professional, business, and civic leaders - and to make lasting friendships.
- Being a Grotto member enables you the opportunity of sharing in our great humanitarian project of Dental Care for Children with Special Needs.
- Every Master Mason, because he is eligible to become a member of the Grotto, can join in the humanitarian work which the Grotto is so fervently sponsoring.
- The right to associate yourself with other Grottoes - one of which is near your home. To participate in such social affairs as theatre parties, dinner dances, nights at the races, sweetheart dances, and local functions.
- The right to wear the Grotto Fez and Grotto Pin, identifying yourself as a member of the Mystic Order of Veiled Prophets of the Enchanted Realm - also known as the Grottoes of North America - the greatest fraternal order a Master Mason can join.
- A welcome to visit any of the Grottoes throughout the United States and Canada. Thousands of Prophets are proud to wear the Black Fez and Mokanna pin.
- The Grotto gives you the privilege of joining many units - clowns, bands, pipe bands, horse units, marching units, cast, string bands, motor patrol, drum corps, and choral groups.
- Belonging to the Grotto gives you the opportunity of wearing a colorful uniform and permits you the privilege of participating in Grotto parades.
- Prophets have reached the zenith of attainment when they have learned to express their principles of Masonry as "doing good for others."